Things to do in İzmir that cost little or no money
1. Sit at Kordon next to the water watching the sun set with a handful of sunflower seeds.
2. Have a chat with a stranger.
3. Take the ferry to Karşıyaka or Bostanlı (2 TL per ride and valid for 90 minutes; 1.10 TL for students).
4. Have a walk in your neighborhood. Then sit down on a park bench and people watch. Invent their stories: Who are they? Where are they going? What are their secrets?
5. Drink çay (1-2TL) and play tavla with a friend.
6. Have çiğ köfte (2.5TL) with ayran (1TL).
7. Take a photo tour.
8. Explore your local pazar. Or maybe one you haven’t yet been to? The kilo prices for fresh fruits and vegetables are quite affordable.
9. Read a book in a park. Or on your balcony.
10. Write a blog post.